It’s been awhile since I posted. We’ve been adjusting to life as a military family so that’s taken a lot of my time. We’re actually due to move soon and I’ve been quite busy preparing for that. In the midst of the chaos, however, I’ve found time to craft and to quilt. And for that I’m glad because crafting keeps me in a most harmonious mood!
My husband, who’s in the Navy, doesn’t yet have orders, unfortunately. There was an unfortunate mix-up at his training command and a bunch of students, him included, didn’t get orders as they were supposed to. So we’re stuck waiting a little longer. Since we live in Texas, I do know we’re in for a big move one way or the other because the Navy only has so many ports, all of which are quite a distance from here. As a family, we love to play games. In order to keep ourselves entertained on our down time (and while waiting for our belongings to arrive) we’ve decided to bring our Nintendo WiiU along with us.
It turns out, however, that there aren’t any specialized bags available for carrying gaming systems around. There was one made specifically for the Nintendo Wii quite a few years ago but there appears to be no current product available that meets our specific needs. I could try to modify a computer bag or backpack but I don’t really feel that would really meet our needs either. So, instead, I decided to make my own.
I began drafting my pattern a few weeks ago:
Sorry it’s a bit messy. I tend to use the whole piece of paper when I begin drafting. Once I had my pattern (and more importantly, my yardage), I waited for the big-box fabric store to either put the materials on sale or issue coupons. I didn’t have to wait long as Joann Fabric is pretty good about pretty much having most of their fabric and other materials on sale.
For this project, I decided to go with rip-stop nylon (in TARDIS blue no less) with some D-rings, zippers, and velcro among other things. During the long break, I purchased a serger so I decided to make this my first full project to craft using my new equipment!
So obviously, I first started by measuring the system and, after I had those digits, I was able to begin noodling a design. Here’s my graph paper design sheet:
Here’s the bag so far:
I have most of it complete. All I need to do is sew the messenger bag flap, put the loops for the shoulder strap in, build the flap for the zipper and then assemble everything right sides together (and flaps, straps, zips all facing the appropriate directions) in order to sew the whole thing together. After that’s done, I can pull it right-side out, put the foam inside and close the bag. Doesn’t seem like much but these last steps will be the most time consuming. Speaking of which, I should get back to work on the bag!
Tune in Wednesday for some quilt related news! See you then.